A Presentation of WinSCP – Free SFTP, FTP and SCP Client For Windows
#Presentation #WinSCP #Free #SFTP #FTP #SCP #Client #Windows
WinSCP is a totally free open-source FTP, SFTP and SCP client for Microsoft Windows. It supports the typical FTP protocol to copy files between an area and a remote computer (FTP is potentially insecure because it doesn’t have encryption tools so all transmissions have been in clear text) but in addition SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol or SSH File Transfer Protocol), which supplies secure file transfer capability. It supports several encryption algorithms (AES, Blowfish, etc) and in addition has private keys available when you really need to transfer sensitive data securely. It is extremely lightweight (10 MB of free disk space at most of the) and stable.
- WinSCP runs on any Win32 system, which include Windows 95, up to Windows 7. Though there are some alternatives running natively on GNU/Linux, WinSCP can certainly be installed about this operating system through Crossover (it got a ‘Gold Medal award’, which means that the application form installs and runs while you would expect it to in Microsoft Windows) or Wine.
- WinSCP main features are:
- Choice of two graphical user interfaces (Windows Explorer-like or Norton Commander-like interfaces, the latter being more practical inside our opinion);
- Good Integration with Windows (drag&drop shell, URL, shortcut icons);
- All common operation with Files are supported, such as for instance navigating and searching, managing connections, changing file properties (permissions, ownership, etc) uploading and downloading, deleting, creating, duplicating and moving files and directories and direct editing through the integrated text editor;
- Integrated text-editor: to edit a file through the server, follow on about it to download the file to your personal computer, which can be then automatically opened for editing after which saved and uploaded to your remote location.
- Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH.
- Support for FTP, SFTP and SCP protocols; Support for SSH password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication;
- Directory synchronization in lot of semi or fully automatic ways;
- U3 package available (U3 allows the launching applications from specially formatted USB flash drives): remember that some functions are not available when making use of this choice.
Good documentation and forum.
Translated in over 30 languages (however, for many of those, the translations are not complete yet: these ones must be downloaded separately).
One important feature inside our opinion is when you intend to keep your session configuration (optional), including password, you’ve got the potential for setting up a master password when you look at the preferences menu: your passwords are then protected by a solid AES Cipher (Advanced Encryption Standard ) and should not be recovered easily. Which means that you need to enter your master password each and every time this program will have to access protected passwords, and this can be just a little annoying it is still worth every penny when it comes to added security it provides.
- Quick specs:
- Licence: GNU GPL (Free Software)
- Operating system: Windows (also deals with GNU/Linux using Crossover)
- Version tested: 4.2.7
- Price: free
- Size: not as much as 10MB
WinSCP websiteA Presentation of WinSCP – Free SFTP, FTP and SCP Client For Windows Today 22
- by pvtheater